Saving for Seattle

Media Club asks for donations to attend national convention

Brady Bristol

Media Club needs donations to reach their $5000 goal so they can attend the National Student Electronic Media Convention in Seattle.

Leah Kash-Brown, Staff Writer

Wayne State College Media Club members Tyler Fransen, Richard Rhoden and Justise Brundage were chosen to attend the National Student Electronic Media Convention in Seattle on Oct. 24-25.

Rhoden and Brundage will be sitting on panels to discuss topics that concern college students in the media fields.

Brundage will be leading a discussion on covering news in a small college town, while Rhoden will be talking about the challenges involving the coverage of Division II and III college sports.

Fransen was selected as a finalist in two categories: Best Public Service Announcement for Radio about the Conn Library, and Best Promo for Radio about WSC’s radio station 91.9 The Cat. He placed in the top four in both categories.

This is the first time Fransen has ever submitted his work in any sort of competition.

He never would have entered the competition if it had not been for Maureen Carrigg, one of the media professors at Wayne State College.

“She encouraged me to enter, just to see how things will go,” Fransen said.

Even with all of the excitement of going to a national convention, the club needs to raise funds so that everyone can go. The club’s goal is to raise $5000. However, club members have been able to raise just $275, which barely covers the cost of a single plane ticket.

The Media Club has started a donation campaign on Go-FundMe to help their cause. To donate, go to gofundme.com, type in Wayne’s ZIP code 68787 and look for “Media Club.” Potential donors can also email Justise Brundage at [email protected].