Phi Kappa Phi inducts new members

Anna, Staff Writer

The honor society Phi Kappa Phi inducted 10 new seniors and 26 juniors at its 11th annual ceremony last Wednesday. WSC Vice President for Academic Affairs Steven Elliott, and professors

Jennifer Langdon and Pamela Langlie-Willers were also inducted into the society.

“We are here for one reason,” said Prof. Randy Bertolas, chapter president, “To celebrate.”

Phi Kappa Phi (PKP) is the nation’s oldest, largest and most selective all-discipline honor society. The students who were initiated are in the top 7 1/2 percent of juniors and the top ten percent of seniors. Faculty, professional staff and alumni who achieve scholarly distinction also qualify.

The PKP student vice presidents, Allison Backer and Matt Mullins, shared with the audience how PKP was formed more than a century ago in 1897 by one student, Marcus Urann, at Maine State College, now the University of Maine.

The society’s mission is: “To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others.”

Gretchen Ronnow, WSC professor and member of PKP, was the guest speaker at the ceremony. Throughout her speech, she quoted experts advising the audience to define a meaningful life by appreciating the small and beautiful, valuing private life and personal curiosity, as well as actively seeking out the complexities of words and cultures.

WSC’s chapter was chartered in 2006 with the intent to recognize and promote the achievements of the college’s most accomplished students and faculty.