Slowing down for the end of the year

Student Senate swears in new members before last meeting

Nate Neary, Staff Writer

Student Senate met in Gardner Hall on Sunday with a few senators absent due to prior obligations.

“The meeting went really well; it was efficient,” Student Senate Vice President Kelley Robinson said.

The highlight of the meeting was swearing in the newly elected senators.

“I’m really excited about all the new senators and hope to see them accomplish a lot on campus. There are some great fresh faces so there’ll be some great new ideas,” Robinson said.

As the school year winds down, so does the agenda of the Senate.

“Since there is not a lot to cover, we got everything done,” Robinson said.

Student Trustee Henry Miller reported that the land for the planned Criminal Justice Lab was purchased and the Skybox renovations have been approved by the Board of Trustees.

Senators Krejci and Coenen, who oversee the Judicial Board, have not had much on their plate lately. The Judicial Board hears student appeals of on-campus discipline, such as parking tickets, but has not been utilized at all this year.

Next year may see some big changes to general education requirements.

As a national trend of trimming down general education hours and placing those hours into majors or minors occurs, Wayne State College has created a General Education Requirements Advisory Committee to review its general education policy.

Four appointees from each school will determine what will be best for WSC moving forward. Students will also be appointed to the committee to give their input, allowing a different perspective.
The next Senate meeting will be April 23 at 7 p.m. in Gardner Hall.