Thoughts From A Freshman: Thanks for the memories

Julia Baxter, Columnist

My life in the past week has been filled to the brim with my part in the performance of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.” I did a lot of theater in high school. I was in as much theater as my school had to offer, and I had a lot of fun with it, but it was nothing like my experience at Wayne State. I was cast as the March Hare in the show and I had so much fun creating and portraying this character. I loved how loud and overwhelming I could be on the stage and I loved that this show didn’t have any limits on how vibrant I could make my character.

The only thing that was better than being a character in the show was being surrounded by good people to share the memories with. I loved being able to meet new people who accept me for my overdramatic and slightly-insane self. I loved being able to say whatever popped into my head without having to endure the glares that usually follow.

I loved having the flexible schedule, and the fact that the cast, crew and director understood that sometimes I had rugby practice, or sometimes I had homework.

Our show ended up having a total of nine performances, and I can honestly say that wasn’t too much for me. I thought that it would be—that I would get sick of seeing the same people, that I would get tired of wearing the same costume or even that the show itself would become monotonous.

I was completely wrong. There wasn’t a single day that I woke up and thought, “Ugh! I don’t want to do this today.” I woke up excited to see my friends and excited to make our audiences happy.

I can definitely say that the show was never boring, as halfway through the performances, one of our actors was sick and I was given another role to figure out an hour before showtime. I was given a new costume, a new set of lines and new cues to learn and memorize the day of the performance. I was nervous, but the entire cast had my back and helped me along the way.

The show was bright and colorful. Our costume designer, Anna Kruger, portrayed the characters in the best ways. The sets were colorful and truly amazing works of art. We painted the stage floor to match the chess scene that our backdrop portrayed.

The show was never boring for anyone else either, as on Saturday, our main character was sick. We banded together and were able to quickly create a new Alice and an almost entirely new show. I am still amazed at how well our cast pulled together to fix the problem and make sure that the audience would receive a show. I’m so proud of myself and my friends and castmates for everything that we did and how amazing the show went.