Students sing for Gilbert and Sullivan

Courtney Upah

Trevor McQuay and Mary Bruegman share the stage with other chorus members at the Gilbert and Sullivan showcase, last Thursday in Ley Theatre.

Anna Cole, Staff Writer

WSC vocal music students performed a Gilbert and Sullivan Showcase last Thursday, featuring songs written by the librettist composer duo of W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.

“Their work focused on a comical, even satirical commentary on the politics, societal norms and personalities of their time,” Assistant Music Professor Sarah Farr said. “Many of these social criticisms still ring true today.”

The operettas featured were “The Pirates of Penzance,” “Ruddigore,” “The Sorcerer” and “The Mikado.” The performance was entertaining and highlighted many of the performers in solo pieces in addition to the women’s chorus and a small ensemble group.

The students have been working on the performance since the beginning of the spring semester.

“In addition to preparing correct words, notes and rhythms, they have worked to portray engaging and clear characters for their pieces,” Farr said.

Their hard work paid off as students performed to a crowded Ley Theatre.

The next upcoming music performance is a Faculty Chamber Recital on March 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Ley Theatre.