WSC rugby is back and as strong as ever

Julia Baxter

Kelcey Stutzman kicks a field goal for extra points after the team scores a try in the opening weekend for the spring season. The women’s club won all three of its games, while the men took home three losses.

Shawn Henley, Staff Writer

Wayne State College men’s and women’s rugby were back in action Saturday for the opening weekend of the spring season at Iowa’s Simpson College. The women went 3-0 and the men went 0-3.

Preparation for both teams was minimal as they were given spring break off from practice. Last week, Mother Nature did not cooperate, resulting in the teams’ not practicing outdoors.

“The girls did extremely well for the first weekend out,” Head Coach Darrin Barner said. “With it being the first weekend, we’re still a little rusty and not quite in the groove. We went undefeated, so I am very pleased.”

The three wins for the women came against University of Northern Iowa (24-7), Simpson College (31-7) and the University of Iowa (28-7.) The team is coming off its sixth national championship, which was won in early December in Atlanta, Ga., against Colgate University.

“We have a lot of four-year starters,” Barner said. “They are very talented players with lots of experience. So, if we aren’t doing well, I’ll be upset.”

The men’s team did not have as much fortune as the women’s team this weekend, losing all three games played.

“We’re a very young team,” Barner said. “New players joined this semester, so everyone got adequate playing time.”

The team’s three loses were against Iowa State University (24-12), University of Iowa (24-10) and University of Northern Iowa (28-7.)

“They don’t learn anything sitting on the sidelines,” Barner said. “Everyone played, and that was the main mission.”

Both men’s and women’s teams will be back in action this weekend. The women will head to the Northwestern tournament and the men’s team will head to Sioux City.