Flu got you blu?

Erika Schwartz, Staff Writer

Along with chilly weather and the changing of seasons comes the ever-so-irritating flu season. Unfortunately, it has officially begun at WSC.
“We have tested and confirmed quite a few cases of Influenza A so far, and treated the students accordingly,” Student Health Registered Nurse Kathy Bird said.
Since the flu seems to be incredibly widespread and contagious this year, students should be taking preventative cautions throughout the upcoming weeks.
Practicing good handwashing, avoiding others who might be infected and not attending class if flu-like symptoms are evident are ays to prevent spreading sickness around the campus.
However, according to Bird, the best way to evade the flu is by simply receiving the flu shot.
Some symptoms that might result in testing positive include: fever, aching muscles in the back or shoulder area, chills, headache, sore throat and other common cold indications.
Although the flu has caused a few deaths across the country this season, Bird said college students who catch it typically have little likelihood of facing fatal results.
“Usually, if someone passes away from the flu, they have underlying health conditions as well,” Bird said. “It usually doesn’t affect young people that way.”
While the illness appears to be more relentless this year, Bird presumed the recent outbreak and influx of influenza cases around the country are not connected to fewer people receiving the flu shot.
“I think the same amount of people are getting their shots this year; people are just catching this strain easier,” Bird said.“I think everyone is experiencing a big upswing in influenza cases.”
“Some years are just worse worse than others, and people are always going to spread it,” Bird said. “So there’s not much we can do except do our best to prevent it.”
If students begin to notice any flu-like signs or signals, the best treatment is lots of rest and fluids, Bird said.
The Student Health office is also available by appointment for students who are feeling unwell and is located in Room 104 of the Kanter Student Center.
It is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
Appointments can be made by calling 402-375-7470.