Battle of the brains

Emmalee Scheibe, Staff Writer

Wayne State College will host the 2017 Nebraska Science Bowl on Saturday and Feb 11.

Teams of middle school students and high school students from across Nebraska will compete at WSC for their chance to win an all-expense paid trip to the National Science Bowl in Washington, D.C.

“I helped with the high school science bowl last year,” sophomore Jenna Podany said. “It’s amazing how much those high school students know.”

This will be the 23rd annual Nebraska Middle School Science Bowl and the second Eastern Nebraska High School Science Bowl.

To get more student volunteers, some classes offer extra credit, while others volunteer to boost their resumes for when they apply for UNMC.

“I am volunteering for my Chem I class,” freshman Sam Lottman said. “I’m going to be a scorekeeper.”

The competition takes place throughout Connell Hall and the first floor of the Carhart Science Building. Champions will be determined by a bracket system and will be eliminated after two losses.

The Natural History Museum, located on the first floor of Carhart, and the Planetarium, in the basement of Carhart, will be open during the competitions.

Participants can receive two awards. There is the “I’m Science Smart” award, which is intended to recognize the single student who answered the most questions correctly. There is also the “Team Civility” award, which is to recognize the team that exhibited a special amount of sportsmanship and civility.

To find more information or to sign up to volunteer, visit wsc.edu/sciencebowl and fill out the paperwork.