Stay safe on campus as the year winds down

Campus Security notified students via email on Monday that a female WSC student was assaulted near Pile Hall on Thursday evening. The victim was approached from behind on the sidewalk near Pile Hall about 11:30 p.m. by a male with a skateboard.

The assailant pushed the victim against an exterior wall of the residence hall and, after what we can only imagine was a terrifying struggle, she was able to escape to safety.

The suspect hasn’t been found, but he is described as a white male, about 6’4” and has dark brown hair and dark eyes. If you have any information regarding this incident, please contact the Wayne Police Department at 402-375-2626.

If you know anyone that has information, please encourage them to speak with law enforcement about this.
As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, it is important to be aware of your surroundings when you are walking alone, especially after dark.

Wayne State College is incredibly safe as far as college campuses are concerned, but remaining vigilant and recognizing suspicious activity can make our school even safer.

Remember that there is safety in numbers and that an attacker is less likely to strike if there is more than one person in group, especially if one of those people is male.

If you are scared to walk alone at any time, day or night, you are encouraged to call Campus Security at 402-375-7216.

They are more than happy to give you a security escort to ensure that you arrive safely to your dorm room or your car.

Please be safe as the school year starts to wind down. We want you to return to campus in one piece!