Former Husker talks mental health

Nathan Pearson, Staff Writer

Anthony Steels, a former football player for the University of Nebraska, told students at Wayne State last Wednesday that it is important to talk about mental health.

Steels, originally from Sacramento, Cal., now lives in Omaha. He was a running back for the University of Nebraska from 1978 to 1981. After college, he played in the NFL for the San Diego Chargers for two years and one year for the Buffalo Bills.

In his presentation, Steels said that mental stress can begin to weigh on college students. He did not shy away from talking about issues that can contribute to mental stress or result from it, including drug and alcohol use, depression and suicide.

“It is very important that we adults spread the message to young adults and kids,” Steels said. “We cannot sugar-coat things about life. We need to tell the truth about stigmas.”

Steels has been inspired by his own experiences to take action. Just after college, he began using cocaine, which led to an addiction that lasted for more than 20 years. Steels believes that his need for cocaine resulted from a mental illness, depression. Now drug free, Steels has been compelled to share his story to help others.

Steels emphasized that there are many factors in life that can lead to depression and that it is OK to get help.

“I know there is a relation between mental illness and suicide,” Steels said. “We need to make sure people know they can get help.”

Steels also said it is important for people to stay focused on their passions and dreams. He stressed that drugs and alcohol will get in the way of life goals.

Steels believes his NFL career would have lasted longer if he had not become addicted.

“Today is so difficult,” Steels said. “There are so many challenges and battles. There is just so much kids have to deal with. There should be more people sending this message.”