Motorcyle catches fire in parking lot 10


Derek Pufahl

Wayne volunteer fire fighters put out a motorcycle fire that occurred Thrusday afternoon in parking lot 10, while some students were making alterations.

Clare Ferguson, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, a motorcycle caught fire in lot 10 on Wayne State Campus, resulting in minor damages to a nearby vehicle, and destroying the motorcycle.

“This was completely accidental,”said Jason Mrsny, Wayne State College’s campus security manager.

The motorcycle went up in flames when a group of students were making alterations in the parking lot. Campus security was contacted promptly after the motorcycle ignited.

Mrsny assured that nothing criminal had happened.

“Since the motorcycle was just outside, we grabbed fire extinguishers to put it out,” Mrsny said. “However we couldn’t, so we contacted the fire department.”

The fire started around 4 p.m. last Thursday and was put out before 5 p.m.

The fire was mostly contained to the spot where the motorcycle had been parked, but the flames did cause some body damage to a car parked directly east of the fire.

“As standard procedure, the owner of the car is waiting for an insurance adjuster to come assess the damages,” Mrsny said. “This is fairly standard. It’s not the first time we’ve had a fire break out in the parking lots.”

Besides damage to the motorcycle and car, soot and scorch marks now cover the area designated for students driving motorcycles.

Temporarily, parking in those spots was put on hold until the remains of the motorcycle could be rounded up.