The candidates on ballot for the 2016 Presidential Election

A brief description of the candidates and their policies, because ‘knowledge is power!’

Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic Party

By Morgan Ruterbories, Staff Writer

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton and running mate Tim Kaine’s campaigning efforts will be put to the test Nov. 8.
Here is her background and some of her major policy projections:
Clinton was born to Hugh and Dorothy Rodham on Oct. 26, 1947, and grew up in a middle-class home in Park Ridge, Ill.
Clinton’s father was a World War II Navy veteran and eventually opened up small family business; her mother’s adversity-filled childhood inspired her to commit herself to helping children live up to their potential.
Clinton received her undergraduate degree from Wellesly College in 1969 and went on to study at Yale Law School, where she graduated as the only woman in her class of 27 students. Hilary and Bill Clinton married in 1975.
She practiced law for a number of years before becoming the first lady of Arkansas, and when Bill Clinton won the presidency and was re-elected, the FLOTUS.
In 2000 she became a New York senator, and eventually secretary of State under the Obama administration.
Clinton’s top issues are the economy and jobs, education, the environment, justice, equality and national security.
Clinton has proposed to create a stronger public K-12 education system as well as a debt-free college system.  She also wants to take on the student debt epidemic.
Clinton plans to “modernize the teaching profession by preparing, supporting and paying every child’s teacher as if the future of our country is in their hands.”
Clinton’s debt-free college system plans to put higher education within reach for many more Americans.  All community colleges will offer free tuition, and students who have already incurred the burden of student debt  and students who are delinquent on their payments will receive aid in order to get back on their feet.
“This plan will be fully paid for by limiting certain tax expenditures for high-income taxpayers.”
All information in this article has been derived from the Clinton campaign website: HillaryClinton.com.

Donald J. Trump for the Republican Party

By Erika Schwartz, Staff Writer

Businessman and real estate developer Donald J. Trump and his running mate, Mike Pence, are the Republican Party’s presidential ticket for the 2016 presidential election, advocating the slogan “Make America Great Again.”
Trump, born in New York in 1946, joined his family’s business after college and became involved in various Manhattan building projects, resulting in lucrative profits, attractive architectural designs and public recognition, per Encyclopedia of World Biography.
In addition to obtaining numerous architectural and real estate heights, Trump is also a father to five children and currently the husband of former Slovenian model, Melania Knauss Trump.
Since Trump announced his candidacy in June 2015, he has focused on sensitive issues regarding immigration, national security and foreign policy, as well as defeating ISIS.
The Trump campaign website says Trump’s vison concerning immigration is to prioritize jobs, wages and security of the American people.
He wants to establish new immigration controls, ensure jobs are offered to American citizens first and protect the economic well-being of lawful immigrants already living in the United States.
He also has developed a 10-point plan that he says will put America first as part of his immigration policy.
Trump’s positions on education, potentially affecting the students of Wayne State College, include ensuring the opportunity to attend any type of higher education and make it easier to access, pay for and finish college.
He also wants to certify universities that are trying to reduce the cost of college and student debt.
Trump has a plan for addressing access to education for students in poverty, as well as covering other key issues involving education.

Gary Johnson for the Libertarian Party

By Shawn Henley, Staff Writer

Presidential candidate Gary Johnson represents the Libertarian Party in the upcoming election. Johnson was elected governor of New Mexico in 1994 as a Republican and was in office until 2003. Prior to this, Johnson owned a door-to-door business company.
Johnson’s running mate is former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld. According to the Johnson and Weld campaign website, Weld won the governor’s position in 1990 with 51 percent of the vote and was re-elected in 1994 with a record-breaking 71 percent of the vote.
Johnson was born January 1, 1953 ,in Minot, N.D. Johnson graduated from the University of New Mexico with a degree in political science. Twenty years after graduating, Johnson turned his handyman business into the largest construction company in New Mexico, Big J Enterprises, with more than 1,000 employees.
Johnson’s top priority if elected to the presidency will be to balance the budget per his campaign website. He will veto any legislation that will result in deficit spending.
Some of Johnson’s notable stances on issues include: pro-choice, no wall, tax cuts on small businesses, term limits, allowing the states to choose the legalization of marijuana and wanting to get the government out of people’s private lives.
When it comes to education, Johnson believes state and local governments should have more control. He believes the federal Department of Education should be removed because of the spending local schools do courtesy of Common Core and other national standards. Johnson and Weld say they want to restore educational excellence that Washington, D.C., cannot provide.

Jill Stein for the Green Party

By Zee Elmer, Staff Writer

Jill Stein is the Green Party’s nominee for the 2016 presidential election. The Green Party is a small political organization that’s characterized by its four pillars: peace, ecology, social justice and democracy.
Stein was born on May 14, 1950, in Chicago Ill. and obtained her medical degree from Harvard University. She has been elected twice to town meetings in Lexington, Massachusetts, and has run for political office several times, including governor of Massachusetts in 2002, state representative in 2004 and secretary of State in 2006. She is married to Richard Rohrer, with whom she has two children.
Her running mate is Ajamu Baraka, an avid human rights activist born in Chicago on Oct. 25, 1953. Baraka has served on the board for many human rights organizations, such as US Human Rights Network, Amnesty International and Africa Action.
Stein focuses on education as a right, promising tuition free public education, eliminating student debt, replacing common core with programs designed by educators, increasing federal funding to public schools and getting rid of the dependence on standardized tests.
Stein also plans to enforce policies that directly influence: criminal justice reform, fighting climate change, increasing the number of jobs in America, raising the minimum wage, fixing the economy and reforming the United States’ immigration system.
According to her official website, Stein plans to fulfill these changes by focusing on altering the current political system in place and “putting people, planet and peace over profit.”