Wildcat soccer finishes season with winning record

Aahron Young

The WSC Wildcats soccer team finished its season this weekend after a loss to Sioux Falls. Going into the weekend, the ‘Cats were tied for eighth going into the NSIC Conference tournament. With the 4-1 loss against Sioux Falls, WSC was bumped out of the tournament.

Braxton Adams, Staff Writer

Wayne State Women’s Soccer team finished its last games of the season with a win Friday, 2-1, and a loss Sunday.

WSC finished with a record of 9-6-3 overall.

“Friday was a tough game for us, but we were able to score before halftime,” senior Kelsey Engstrom said.

Friday, WSC played Sioux Falls University and picked up a 2-1 win in the process to stay tied for eighth for the NSIC tournament.

Wildcats opened up scoring in the 30th minute of the first half, as Christina Stasi found the back of the net from 20 yards out to give the cats a 1-0 lead at the half.

The scoring attack continued in the second half after Engstrom scored on a flip throw from sophomore Natalie Rech at the 53:36 mark of the half.

Sioux Falls made the game interesting, scoring late in the second half with a goal from Lauren LaFavre, but WSC withstood the charge and came away with the 2-1 victory.

“It was awesome to see how resilient we were even after they scored,” Engtrom said.

Engstrom and Stasi led WSC offensively with their second and first goals of the season respectively.

Rech ended with a team-high three shots in the contest.

Sunday’s game ended in a 4-1 loss at Southwest Minnesota State and the ‘Cats just miss going to the NSIC tournament on a tiebreaker.

WSC trailed 1-0 at end of the first half with a goal from SMSU in the 25th minute. The second half started with the Mustangs taking a 2-0 lead at the 52:34 mark and two more goals at 71st and 73rd minutes of the game, giving the Mustangs a 4-0 advantage.

Sophomore Brooke Buzzel would get the Wildcats on the board and avoid the shut out by scoring her fifth goal of the season at the 84:21 mark of the game, making the final score 4-1.

Buzzel scored team-high fifth goal of the season, while Engstrom had three shots on goal.

Senior goalkeeper Kylie Comba was credited with eight saves, while allowing four goals.