‘Wild with Pride’ march through Wayne

Erika Schwartz, Staff Writer

The community of Wayne gathered together to watch the parade on Main Street to celebrate WSC Homecoming last Saturday morning.
The parade started out with the “Pride of the Plains,” the WSC marching band. Several floats, community businesses and high school marching bands followed behind—all showing their support and pride for Wayne State. Among the parade entries were WSC President Marysz Rames, Jeff and Marry Carstens and Homecoming King and Queen, Brett Quick and Hannah Smith.
Various campus clubs decorated floats in the “Wild with Pride” theme and competed for first prize. Clubs and organizations from PRIDE to Latinos Uniting, and Drama Club to Active Minds participated in Saturday’s festivities. There was no lack of streamers, banners or Wildcat pride.
Immediately after the parade, all contributing marching bands, color guards and the WSC marching band met in the Willow Bowl for a quick concert by the WSC band, and to hand out awards.
“We really appreciate all of the bands coming out and participating today,” said Dr. David Bohnert, director of the WSC band. “It’s always a really great day.”
The WSC band’s concert consisted of a collection of alternative rock pieces including “Phoenix” by Fall Out Boy and “Viva la Vida” by Coldplay.
After the concert, Bohnert handed out the awards. Bands from Wakefield, Wayne Junior High, Emerson-Hubbard and Westwood all received plaques of participation. The class D2 marching band winner was Allen, class D1 was Osmond, C2 was Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, class C1 winner was Creighton, and the class B1 winner was Wayne Senior High. All of the winning bands also received trophies.
The float awards were presented at the pre-game before the homecoming football game. First place, for the float involving the most acting, was the Drama Club. Second place went to the WSC Catholic Newman float, and WSEAN received third place.