Wildcat PR helping other clubs

Jordyn Knobbe, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Public Relations Club has decided to start a new tradition by getting more hands-on with the campus and activities.

“This year the club is trying to operate a little more like an actual PR firm,” WSC student Dylan Tolbert said. “Working with clubs and organizations around the school we are trying to gain a little more real world experience acting on their behalf.”

This all began at the first meeting of the year when they were trying to figure out how to get the experience they were looking for.

“We had a meeting at the beginning of the year trying to brainstorm ways we could grow not only our PR experience, but interest in PR itself. This was one of the top ideas we came up with, and I think it’s gone over extremely well,” Tolbert said.

The club had a good response from other clubs and has a variety of services to provide clubs with.

“Some clubs need help gaining members, so we would help them create flyers, posters, social media ads,” president Taryn Winter said. “Other clubs need help with big events like ‘World Heart Day,’ so we made a press release, sent it to nearby radio and news as well as made flyers and promoted on social media.”

The club has two major clients: “World Heart Day” and the wrestling club.

“Dr. Engenretsen and the promotion of ‘World Heart Day’ has been a big opportunity for us. Hannah Coy and Kristen Ohnoutka have been doing an amazing job with that event,” Winter said. “I’ve been working with WSC Wrestling and promoting their different events like Godfather coupon sales and now apparel sales. I also work with them on their social media content.”

The club is hoping this will be a new tradition for the clubs and activities to come to the PR Club for their advertsing needs.

The club meets on Thursdays at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., in Humanities room 302.

“We always are searching for more members, so if interested please contact me, [email protected] and I can get you the info,” Winter said.