Council discusses pets and parking in Wayne

Ericka Swarts, Staff Writer

At the bi-weekly City Council meeting last Tuesday, various issues having the potential to affect students at WSC, were brought before the mayor, City Council members, city officials and a handful of community members.

The first issue addressed was action on an animal permit application. Kim and Jerry Hamik, citizens of Wayne, came before the council and asked for allowance of a permit for their newest pet: a mini pig. The Hamiks presented their case, stating how they take care of their animal, avoid disturbances and have received permission from all of their neighbors to keep their mini pig.

Veterinarian Dr. Mark Zink came forward and expressed his concern about having a non-vaccinated animal in Wayne. The council eventually decided to grant the Hamik Family an animal permit, on the condition that the mini pig receives its vaccinations.

However, if the college students of Wayne are eager to keep a mini pig as a pet, they must appear before the council themselves, as each “exotic” animal permit is handled case by case.

The second item of business pertaining to the lives of WSC students was a request to amend the Wayne Municipal Code to eliminate the midnight to 5 a.m. parking ban on the west side of Logan Street between 8th and 9th streets.

Hilda Pearson, also a citizen of Wayne, stood before the council and expressed her concern about parking availability for college students.

“I am here on behalf of the college students,” Pearson said. “We have to provide parking for college students and their friends.”

Pearson has witnessed numerous instances when she was unable to park in her own driveway, simply because college students were taking up her area in an effort to avoid a parking ticket after midnight.

City Council Member Matt Eischeid asked Pearson if the parking issue could possibly be a landlord deficiency, but Pearson assured Eischeid otherwise.

Several council members mentioned that, if needed, Wayne citizens can call in vehicles to the Wayne Police Department and avoid being ticketed.

“I have lived in many different cities that don’t even allow people to call in their cars,” Council Member Jason Karsky said.

All members of the council agreed that lifting the ban on just one block would only open a mass number of residents petitioning for their block’s parking ban to be lifted—not to mention a number of unforeseen issues that also may arise, such as underage drinking, party noise and college students taking parking spots away from Wayne residents in order to avoid buying a parking permit.

“I think the partnership between the city and college is very strong,” said Eischeid. “We have worked hard to maintain it, and lifting the ban may weaken our relationship.”

“I think this issue is best handled on the ballot and leave it to the voters,” said Mayor Ken Chamberlain. “There is a lot of passion on both sides of this issue.”

If any students of WSC are interested in coming before the council or to listen in on local issues, the City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of every month in City Hall at 5:30 p.m.