‘Stay awake on the bus rides’

Leeper and Hempel share their experiences abroad in Greece

Mallory Carothers

Emily Leeper presenting her study abroad Powerpoint.

Alex Eller, Staff Writer

Wayne State College seniors Emily Leeper and Stephanie Hempel encouraged their fellow students to take advantage of the WSC study abroad program. Both spent a semester abroad in Greece this spring and shared their experiences last Wednesday in Gardner Hall.

During the presentation they explained what it was like living in Volos, Greece, where they stayed during their travel.

“It’s the best of both worlds,” Leeper said. “You get to experience beach life and the mountains.”

It wasn’t just sightseeing and gift shopping, however. Both also attended classes while in Greece.

“Besides learning Greek history within the confines of a classroom, when you are walking the streets of Athens, you can turn a bustling street corner and boom, history will hit you right in the face,” Leeper said. “Ancient ruins in the midst of such an urban area.”

Studying abroad provided them an opportunity to learn about locations such as the Athens Acropolis while they were there, and gave them a chance to practice the Greek they were learning in language class.

“You are learning all the time but half the time you don’t notice it,” Hempel said.

They were in Greece during a time when the country had a large influx of Syrian refugees and were able to experience some political protests surrounding these issues.

“There was a lot of political graffiti which was all really beautiful,” Hempel said.

Hempel even participated in a protest for the LGBTQ+ community and other minorities in Greece to help spread tolerance and understanding.

“Being on the other side of it I think really helped me grasp the whole concept, because living in Nebraska I had never been in a huge strike like that,” Hempel said.

Both Hempel and Leeper strongly encouraged students to take the opportunity to travel while still in college.

“Travel everywhere; if you have the opportunity take it,” Hempel said.

They also provided these tips for students planning to travel abroad:

• Don’t be afraid to get your alone time
  • Travel everywhere
  • Stay awake on the bus rides
  • Take risks and say yes; if it scares you do it
  • Journal, write everything down

“Going to class is a lot easier in paradise,” Hempel said.

The WSC study abroad program included semesters in Greece and Asia as well as shorter study trips. Interested students may contact the Multicultural Center located in room 10 at the student center, or email Bethany Janzen at [email protected].