WSC women’s soccer sweeps the weekend

Wildcat wins mark first time team has pulled a sweep since 2011

Brandon Powell

The WSC women’s soccer team gathers together during a time out during Saturday’s evening match against Northern State University. The Wildcats won the game in double overtime after trailing 2-0 in the first half. The home game was also senior day for the seniors on the team.

Braxton Adams, Staff Writer

WSC soccer continued its play this past weekend with wins against conference opponents Northern State and MSU-Moorhead.

The Wildcats started off Saturday facing Northern State, where they would pick up the win in a 3-2 double overtime win.

WSC was down early 2-0 in the first half after Northern State scored goals from Anna Bondy at the 7:04 mark and Darian Leschewski in the 35th minute to take the lead.

That was until sophomore Alex Strothers got the ‘Cats on the board at the 35:30 mark and started their comeback.

Wayne State evened the score in the second half when sophomore Carys Hund scored on an unassisted goal 1:02 into the second half to knot the score 2-2.

The game remained scoreless the rest of the half and went in overtime, where the ‘Cats would find the score board one more time when sophomore Brooke Buzzell found the back of the net on an assist coming from senior captain Jennifer Zick to take a 3-2 lead and close out the game.

“We were down 2-0, but we all knew the game wasn’t over. Coming from behind 2-0 is hard,” Zick said. “But we had the determination to do it. When it came to the final overtime, our mentality was to get the ball into our attacking half and put one final goal away.”

Wayne State finished with a 26-15 advantage in shots over the Wolves, including 14-7 in shots on goal.

WSC continued its conference play Sunday against the MSU-Moorhead Dragons.

Five different Wildcats scored Sunday afternoon at the WSC soccer pitch on senior/parent day.

The win on Saturday and 5-0 win Sunday mark the first sweep in the NSIC for Wayne State soccer since 2011.

The game was scoreless until the 36th minute, when freshman Madison Burgard scored. Wayne State got on the board again at the 39:17 mark on a goal from junior Hannah Knight, giving the ‘Cats a 2-0 lead at intermission.

WSC added three goals in the second half as the Wildcats used 22 different players on the field to complete the shutout victory.

Senior Valerie Hernandez got the second half started by scoring an unassisted goal to make the score 3-0. Buzzell scored her second goal of the weekend and third this season on with assist coming from Natalie Rech to give Wayne State a 4-0 advantage.

“We all have been working really hard ever since last season ended and it feels awesome to get a solid win, especially on parent and senior day,” Hernandez said.

The final goal came in the 73rd minute when freshman Lauren Fleming scored an unassisted goal for the fifth goal of the night for the Wildcats.

Wayne State finished with a 19-6 advantage in shots over the Dragons and 11-4 in shots on goal.  The Wildcats held an 11-2 edge in corner kicks and were called for two more fouls than MSUM, 12-10.

Senior goal keeper Kylie Comba was credited with three saves with playing 76 minutes of action, while freshman goal keeper Rachel Grisham, who went in with 13:33 left to play, was credited with one save.

Reserves Fleming and Knight led WSC with three shots apiece in the win. Knight had one goal and one assist for WSC while Karlee Hall recorded two assists to lead the ‘Cats in scoring. Burgard, Buzzell, Hernandez and Fleming each added goals for WSC.

WSC is now 6-2-2 on the year and 3-2-2 in the NSIC.

The Wildcats will be on the road Friday afternoon visiting Minnesota State in a 1 p.m. NSIC contest.