Moorhead falls to WSC volleyball

Joseph Lovercheck, Staff Writer

Michaela Mestl’s double-double helped the Wildcat Volleyball team sweep the MSU Moorhead Dragons, on Friday in Moorhead, Minn.

The ‘Cats fell to ninth in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Division II Top 25 after losing to Northern State, Saturday. The Wildcats are now 10-3 overall and 2-3 in the NSIC.

WSC started off the Friday night game down 6-2, forcing the Wildcats to use an early timeout. Coming out of the timeout, WSC freshman Libero Haley Kauth served eight straight points, giving the Wildcats a 11-6 lead. The ‘Cats didn’t let off the gas in the first set and won 25-12.

WSC trailed for most of the second set. After trailing 16-10, the Wildcats rallied to tie the score at 19 all.

following three straight points from WSC, the Dragons got three strait of their own, tying the score again, this time at 22 a piece. WSC used an Alyssa Frauendorfer kill and two errors from MSU Moorhead to close out the second set, 25-23.

The Wildcats got out to an early lead in the third set, 12-1. The ‘Cats had 20 kills in the set to finish off the sweep with a 25-17 win over MSU Moorhead.

The next day, WSC traveled to Aberdeen, S.D., to take on Northern State in another NSIC bout. WSC ultimately fell to Northern State three sets to one.

Wayne State started the first set strong, but Northern State rallied to win the set 25-17 on 16 kills and just one attack error.

In the second set, the ‘Cats defense stepped up its game, forcing 12 attack errors and holding Northern State to a negative attack percentage. WSC used five blocks from Alex Opperman in the set to even up the match at one set.

The ‘Cats and Wolves battled in the third set, with the Wolves pulling away for a 25-19 third set win.

The fourth, and final, set saw the two teams tie it up 13 times, along with four lead changes. Northern State came out on top 25-23. The Wolves used back-to-back kills and a Wildcat error to end the match.

WSC now begins a five-game home stand, with the first two matches taking place Friday and Saturday against Minot State and the University of Mary. The ‘Cats will also be in action on Tuesday night when they face off against Chadron State.