Say goodbye to the ‘Freshman 15’

Megan Seamann, Staff Writer

Studies declare 15 is just a number in regards to the well-known ‘Freshman 15’.

The term “Freshman 15” originated in a 1989 issue of Seventeen magazine. Over the years, several colleges and health companies have done studies regarding “Freshman 15.”

Each study had a slightly different outcome, saying it is more typical to gain between two and ten pounds while in college, not just specifically during freshman year. Some students even lose weight freshman year.

“I think that’s part of adulthood,” Kathy Bird, RN for Student Health, said.

Weight gain can happen to anyone at any time in life.

“I think it’s more related to stress levels and stress levels have gone up exponentially,” Linda Wetzel-Reynoldson, dietitian and nutrition therapist for Wayne State, said. “When I am craving more sugar, I can tell it’s related to my stress level.”

Some things Wetzel-Reynoldson said to be aware of in order to avoid weight gain are: balancing what you eat, avoid snacking late at night, giving yourself time to “recoup,” quiet time, listening to your body, not skipping meals and eating breakfast.

“Eating breakfast actually burns more calories between breakfast and lunch,” Wetzel-Reynoldson said.

Wetzel-Reynoldson notices that students are filling down time with technology, triggering “high adrenaline levels” and not giving themselves the quiet time they need to destress.

“To listen to your body, you have to be quiet,” Wetzel-Reynoldson said.

Brain dead, unconscious or mindless eating happens when someone doesn’t listen to their body. Wetzel-Reynoldson said students should slow down, be present, taste and enjoy food while eating.

Not getting proper sleep and exercise can also affect weight gain.

“There are plenty of activities that do their part to keep students active,” Regina Korth, RN for Student Health said.

Wetzel-Reynoldson encourages students to be more conscious of their health and by doing so they will be less likely to gain excess weight.