‘Joey B Strong’

Jordyn Knobbe, Staff Writer

Wayne State College students turned out Saturday for a fundraiser for Joey Bierman during the first home football game.

Bierman sustained a spinal cord injury over the summer, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. He’s currently in the Madonna Rehab facility in Lincoln, NE.
Multiple students gathered at the entrance gates and walked through the tailgaters trying to raise money for Joey.

“We are so gracious about the cooperation that we had from College Relations to Mike Berry and all the people in the Athletic Department,” event organizer Kenneth Hallgren said. “Any VIPs we had come through just had to give their names without any trouble. It went so smoothly. Bierman and his contributors had front-row seating,” Hallgren said.

The effort raised around $2,000, according to Hallgren. Contributors of $5 or more received WSC Black and Gold wristbands that say “Joey B Strong.”

“I think it showed and proved how big of a role one person can have in so many of our lives, and that we must not take advantage of each other, because in one day, it all can change,” Joey’s classmate Laura Muren said.

Joey was able to attend the game and was surprised at the fundraiser.

“You could see the joy in his eyes, to be around all his friends and feel the support of everyone,” Hallgren said.

Muren said “He knew that we genuinely wanted to help him as our friend. Joey was laughing and joking around with us just like he used to. He’s always been light-hearted, kind, and the life of the party. Joey deserves more than we could give him, but humbly accepted all the love and support we are able to give him.”

Hallgren said “I’m wearing this wristband till Joey comes back to school. This was not a one day thing, we will all be Joey Strong till his return.”
Bracelets are still available in the WSC Bookstore.