‘Best record since 2001’

Justin Yost

Sophomore Carys Hund defends against the Vikings at the first home game of the season last Friday. Hund was the only Wildcat to score a goal in the contest to tie against top ranked Augustana University 1-1, giving the Wildcats a 3-0-1 record for the year.

Braxton Adams, Staff Writer

The Wayne State women’s soccer team faced off against the NSIC top ranked team Augustana University for the home opener last Friday afternoon.

Both teams took home a tie of 1-1 in double overtime for the first league game of the season.

Augustana’s Samantha Tymkowicz scored the first and only goal for the Vikings at the 19:00 mark, putting the score at 1-0.

Roughly ten minutes later, WSC would tie up the score with a goal from sophomore Carys Hund.

Hund scored in front of the net with an assist from Hannah Knight to make the score 1-1 to end an action packed first half.

“Thankfully Hund was on the back side of the goal to ‘finish the assist’,” Knight said. “We worked hard as a team and held Auggie to a 1-1 tie.”

WSC had a strong defense in the second half to keep Augustana from scoring another goal.

Senior goalkeeper Kylie Comba had 11 saves in the game, while allowing just one goal.

Comba was one of two Wildcat soccer players, the other being senior Kelsey Engstrom, to be awarded the Northern Sun Conference Women’s Soccer Players of the Week on Monday afternoon.

Comba was also named NSIC Goalkeeper of the Week after posting two shutouts and a 0.31 goals against average.

“I was proud of the way our girls fought, having played three games in four days,” head Coach Bruce Erickson said. “We hit a wall in the first 30 minutes into the game, but our girls were warriors to see the game out and get the important point.”

The Wildcats are now 3-0-1 overall, the best record the team has had since 2001.

WSC will continue its conference play this weekend, traveling to North Dakota where they will take on the University of Mary on Saturday and Minot State on Sunday. Both games will start at 1 p.m.