Two Bulldogs grow up to be Wildcats

Joseph Lovercheck

Wildcats Tarrin Beller and Alyssa Frauendorfer both come from the small town of Humphrey. This is Beller’s first year at Wayne State, while Frauendorfer is a senior.

Joseph Lovercheck, Staff Writer

It’s not every day that an athlete from a town of less than 1000 people makes it into the realm of college athletics.

It is even more uncommon for two athletes from these small towns to be students of the same college, let alone on the same sports team.

But this is what happened when Tarrin Beller joined her former high school teammate, Alyssa Frauendorfer, on the Wayne State Wildcat volleyball team.

Both players graduated from Humphrey High School (HHS) in Nebraska. Frauendorfer graduated in 2013, while Beller graduated in 2016.

“It’s definitely a little different coming from a small town background,” Beller said. “It’s a lot faster. I don’t think coming from a small town background hurt me. I played club volleyball and that really helped.”

In all fairness, Beller did not grow up in Humphrey. She lived on a farm about 10 miles west of Humphrey near Lindsay, but went to Humphrey High School throughout her high school career.
While at HHS, both women had great success in sports. They were on the same volleyball team when the HHS Bulldogs won the Division II State Volleyball Tournament in 2012.
Frauendorfer also was a part of the 2011 Division I State Championship Volleyball team.

“I think it really helped that we had the success we did both my junior and senior year in volleyball,” Frauendorfer said. “Being able to play in front of the big lights down at state gave me a little taste of what those big games in college are all about.”

Both athletes tasted victory in other sports as well. They went to numerous state basketball tournaments and to a combined seven state track meets.

“Coming from a small town, you play every sport,” Frauendorfer said. “They count on you to be out for every sport, but here (WSC) you get to specialize at what you are good at.”

Beller and Frauendorfer are both examples that small towns can produce great athletes.

“I think it just shows that in (class) Division I and Division II, there are athletes,” Frauendorfer said. “There are athletes in the smaller classes, even though sometimes people think small towns don’t produce good athletes.”

Frauendorfer has tasted success at the collegiate level as well. She was a part of last year’s Division II Final Four Volleyball team.

“Making it (back) to the Final Four is again a goal this year,” Frauendorfer said. “We have a different team and different players, but we are still working just as hard in practice.”

Beller’s individual goals include becoming a better athlete and helping the team out in any way she can, both on and off the court. A long term goal of hers is to become a better leader.

Frauendorfer’s advice for the younger kids in small towns is to find programs that let you compete at a high level, like club volleyball or basketball, and to just figure out what you want to do. These programs help you get the attention of college coaches and get yourself out there.

Beller said her advice would be to enjoy and take advantage of the time you have to play.

“It definitely goes by fast,” Beller said. “Always be positive and don’t let things get into your head if things aren’t going how you want them to.”

With the help of these two players, the Wildcats have a record of 8-0 after competing in two tournaments, both in Colorado, to start the season.

The team will be back on the court tomorrow in Sioux Falls where they will face Sioux Falls, and on Saturday for the first home game of the season against Southwest Minnesota State at 2 p.m.