Stopping one cough at a time

Stopping one cough at a time

Liz Moeller, Staff Writer

It’s a little room that most people walk past every day on their way to the upper cafeteria. Most people haven’t stepped foot into this little office, even when it’s one of the most important rooms for students. Once you step inside this little room, though, you are greeted by a few friendly faces. One of these is Kathy Bird.

While she may be the newest nurse, having started working at Wayne State only since last November, she already has settled in very well at WSC.

“What I enjoy about this job is interacting with the kids and being able to help them if they have a problem,” Bird said.

She is currently hoping to stay at WSC until retirement, having enjoyed the small, close-knit community and the friendly staff that she works with every day. While she may claim that she may only be working a few more years until retirement, it doesn’t seem that way with her attitude and her work ethic.

“Nothing too weird has happened to us, but there is a new office up at the hospital, having just opened this semester,” Bird said.

She was quite excited about this new opportunity. It goes to show that the office is growing and hoping to be able to help more people every day.

What she did make sure to tell the students was that at the beginning of this semester, she has seen most students come in with allergies, coughs, colds and upper respiratory problems. Her door is always open to assist anyone with these problems, but she also made sure to explain that she won’t be lenient in giving free passes out of class.

“You have to be really sick to be excused.”

Remember, students, she is here to do her job and help students, not give out free passes to get out of that chemistry test you forgot to study for.