Students shift to apartment living

Causes a small effect on the city of Wayne

Megan Seamann, Staff Writer

The move of students off campus has brought about positive business within the city of Wayne.
The college announced last spring that Bowen Hall would be closed for renovations for the 2016-17 school year.
“How are we going to accommodate 435 students?” asked Wes Blecke, executive director of the Wayne Area Economic Development Chamber.
Although long-term Wayne residents were initially concerned with this large number of students needing a home, only thirty to seventy-five students actually needed to find a place in town. This was due to the housing plans made by the college to fit the maximum number of students on campus.
“I’ve had a mostly positive experience thus far living off campus. I can do my own thing, it’s quieter and I have a great roommate,” said Kelsa Mills, a senior at Wayne State.
With more students off campus, businesses have seen a higher up take in sales. Landlords have also benefited from filling most of the housing in town.
“Looking back, getting the Bowen renovations done in one year will have been a good idea,” Blecke said.
After the renovations are done and students can return to campus, Blecke sees that there will be a great opportunity for marketing to bring more people to Wayne. The college will have to “woo” the students back to on-campus living, which may be easier to do for some students than others.
“I liked living on campus. You get the full college experience and it’s easier to stay connected that way,” Mills said.
Blecke predicts that the college will have an excess of available rooms in the next couple of years as students who have made the decision to live off campus will probably not want to return to campus living.
“People get comfortable where they are,” Blecke said.
Students say they are using more off-campus resources now, which is good for the town businesses as they are making more money from students.
Blecke sees that Wayne is a college town and the students that come in keep the city vibrant and young. Most people like that.