First goal of the season is first of her career

Braxton Adams, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College women’s soccer team opened up their season with a win, marking the first season-opener win since 2006. The 3-1 win Sunday afternoon at Colorado Springs brings the Wildcats’ record to 1-0.

Sophomore Natalie Rech started the game off scoring the first goal of the season within the first few minutes of the game. Senior Kelsey Engstrom assisted on the goal.

“We were all super excited going into the game since it was our first of the season,” Rech said.

Not only did Rech score the first goal of the season, but also the first goal of her colligate career.

“It was honestly one of the most exciting moments of any of the games I’ve played in,” Rech said.

The Wildcats scored early again in the beginning of the second half, with sophomore Carys Hund finding the net. The goal edged the Lady ‘Cats 2-0 ahead of Colorado Springs.

WSC scored again when sophomore Samantha Philips made a goal late in the 2nd half, giving the Wildcats a 3-0 lead.

“It was a great team effort to get the win,” head coach Bruce Erickson said. “Timely goals, good defending and winning the play and battle led to the win.”

Although Colorado Springs outshot the Wildcats 15-14, WSC had the shots on goal advantage of 7-3 and held an edge on corner kicks with 5 compared to Colorado Springs’ 3.
WSC continued its play in Colorado against Colorado Christian yesterday at 4 p.m.
At the time of writing, the game hasn’t started.

The Wildcats next game is tonight at Nebraska-Kearney at 7 p.m.