Welcome to Wayne State College

Jordyn Knobbe, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Art Department has added three fresh faces to call WSC ‘home’ Sarah Krupp, Meghan O’Connor and Andy Haslit.

Krupp is the new sculpture and design professor. Next semester she will also be teaching Visual Arts, a general education course. Krupp is originally from Ohio, where she acquired her Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelors of Art Education at Ohio State University. She moved from Ohio to Tampa, Florida, where she earned her Masters of Fine Arts.

From Tampa, her next big stop was in Texas. She dabbled with Texas Tech and the University of North Texas.

So when asked “what drew her to Wayne State College,” she replied, “In the interview, the students asked great questions and everyone was wonderful.”

She is going to continue some of the curriculum, but is going to mix it up by adding a new inflatables project to her design course. Her main goal for this upcoming year “is to get everyone excited about art.”

O’Connor is the new printmaking, senior exhibit, drawing and visual arts professor. Next semester will be even busier for her as she will be adding a computer arts course to her plate. Bristol, Tennessee, is where O’Connor calls home. She has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in studio arts, printmaking and drawing, which she earned from East Tennessee University. Then, later on acquired her Master of Fine Arts at Clemson University.

Even though she’s a southern girl, she’s been coming to Vermilion, SD, since 2006 to attend a local workshop. This is how she heard of Wayne State, but what brought her to our campus was a bit different.

“I have a Picasso in my hallway, from the art collection started by Pearl Hansen,” she said. “I liked the small town feel and the great reputation of Wayne State College.”

She isn’t the only thing new in the printmaking room either. She has also received a laser engraver. This machine will be able to not only work on prints, but also paintings. She said she’s excited to have this opportunity, has an open door policy, and welcomes people to come in and see what is happening and ask questions if they have any.

Haslit is the new art historian and visual arts professor. He will also be in charge of the new Nordstrom Art Gallery that is currently under construction in the library.