Green Team brings the ocean blue

Free movie ‘Planet Ocean’ shown in Wayne

Steele Giles, Staff Writer

Here’s a fun fact: the top ten feet of ocean water holds more heat than our entire atmosphere.

The Sunday showing of “Planet Ocean,” sponsored by the WSC Green Team, touched on trivia like that and other, more substantial information like the impact of fishing on ocean ecosystems and the role the ocean plays in climate change.

While the event was supported by allocation funds, the Good Planet Foundation and the Omega watch company provided the film itself straight from France at no cost to the club.

In keeping with the idea of environmental responsibility, moviegoers were encouraged to bring their own reusable containers for pop and popcorn to the Majestic Theatre.

Prior to the movie starting, the Green Team was selling raffle tickets for prizes, including reusable grocery bags, an album of sealife photos by Yann Arthus-Bertrand (the director of “Planet Ocean”), matted photographs from some of Dr. Kelly Dilliard’s recent trips and a handmade quilt.

“I was very happy with the different demographics – little kids, college students to seniors,” Dilliard, the Green Team’s faculty advisor, said. “Of course we will always wish to see more college students/faculty/staff at these things, but there were at least 10 faculty/staff there last night and at least 8 non-club students.”

Approximately 90 people attended the event.

“Planet Ocean” is a documentary that was put together by a pair of French directors in 2012. It alternates between educating viewers on the intricacies of the ocean’s ecosystems and the impact that human actions have on them. They studiously avoid pointing fingers at any one nation or group, a fact that many appreciate as it rarely helps, and suggest ways to protect one of the earth’s most critical features.

Among the behaviors called out in the documentary is industrial fishing, a practice which began as subsistence and has become something more parasitic. While there are quotas set by scientists to preserve the environment and fish populations, these are usually ignored by companies in pursuit of profit. As a result, previously common fish are becoming scarce.

The documentary encourages people to only buy from companies that practice responsible fishing and to boycott things like farmed salmon and tuna.

“These are the things that people need to know about, especially for us in Nebraska far from the ocean,” Dilliard said. “We still make a significant impact on the ocean, and people should think about that.”
“I would like to thank The Good Planet Foundation, the WSC Green Team and the Wayne Green Team for helping to make this event a success,” Dilliard said. “The WSC Green Team has definitely benefited from our partnership with the city team.”

Earth Day is April 22, so go do something green on Friday. Recycle, yell at a tree (finals week is coming up, after all), see if there’s anything else that can be done to help save the world we all live on.