Mark Ahmann inducted into numerous hall of fames

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Mark Clement Ahmann, the voice of Wayne State football and basketball for many years, passed away at 83 last Thursday in Wayne.

Ahmann was born on Feb. 12, 1933, in Remsen, Iowa, to Norbert and Inez Ahmann. He graduated from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Remsen in 1950, and after high school Ahmann joined the United States Army.

Ahmann then married his wife, H. Jane Schmitz on Aug. 27, 1957, at St. John’s Catholic Church in Arcadia, Iowa. He started what would become a hall-of-fame career in broadcasting in 1956.

His work took him to many places, including Lincoln, Sioux City and Wayne. While in Lincoln, Ahmann was the host of the Tom Osborne Coaches T.V. Show and was a commentator for Husker football. He is a member of the Nebraska Baseball Hall of Fame, the Nebraska Sports Hall of Fame and Nebraska’s Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Ahmann and his wife moved to Wayne in 1986, and he received the honor of Wayne’s Citizen of the year award in 2001.

Ahmann is survived by his wife Jane; two children, Lisa Ahmann and friend Joe Ybarra of Lincoln, son David Ahmann and his wife Sue of Scottsdale, Ariz.; three brothers, Noel and wife Sharyn of Remsen, Iowa, Hugh and wife Bonnie of Montgomery, Ala. and Leo and wife Nancy of Wayne; sister, Rita Ahmann of Elk Point, S.D.; brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, Clair and wife, Leona Schmitz, Marian Schmitz, Eugene(Butch) Schmitz and Eileen Schmitz, all of Arcadia, Iowa; six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; numerous nieces and nephews.

Ahmann is preceded in death by his parents; parents-in-law, Theo and Barbara Schmitz; son, John and his wife, De; two sisters, Anne Ahmann and Hope Ahmann; and brothers-in-law, Jack Schmitz and Elmer Schmitz.