Accepted everywhere?

Credit and debit cards only allowed for use online

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Due to recent payment changes, Wayne State College will no longer accept debt or credit card payments for student accounts in person at the Student Financial Services office or over the phone.

The new policy, which went into effect on April 1, requires that all card payments must be made online through wildcatsonline.

Peru State College, Chadron State College and WSC’s contract with TouchNet Information Systems, Inc. ended at the end of March and needed replacement. The State College System (SCS) assisted the three schools with the Request for Proposals process to secure an electronic payment gateway system. Even with the help of the SCS, it was ultimately the three college’s presidents’ decision.

The final choice was a contract with the company Higher One, Inc., and purchase of the product CASHNet, which only allows online transactions.

“Once our contract ended, the State College System assisted us on our changes,” Comptroller Mitch DeBoer said. “Eventually, the presidents of the schools had to make the final decision, and this is what they chose.”

DeBoer pointed out how moving to an online format would make it easier for the financial services office from a transaction stand point, but it could potentially bring up problems for incoming students.

“I am concerned about how well we will be able to provide service to parents and grandparents, who just want to call in and pay for their kid or grandkids’ school,” DeBoer said. “Some people calling in may not be as tech savvy as others, and it could cause problems to try to explain to them how to pay for the students account charges.”

Starting July 1, a 2.75 percent nonrefundable convenience fee will be added to card payments. The charge does not go to the school, but instead is paid directly to the payment processer Higher One, Inc.

“I’m ok with things moving to online, and that is the way the world is moving. But for some people it could be a pain to pay a small charge and get hit with the convenience fee,” junior Kevin McCarville said.

Questions regarding payment changes can be directed to Student Financial Services at [email protected] or 402-375-7229.