One Shining Moment

Photo Courtesy USA Today Sports

Apr 4, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; Villanova Wildcats forward Kris Jenkins (2) hits the game winning shot with .6 seconds over North Carolina Tar Heels forward Isaiah Hicks (4) in the championship game of the 2016 NCAA Men’s Final Four at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

Caleb Christensen, Staff Writer

WOW.

That’s why we watch sports, for moments like that.

Villanova stunned UNC in a thrilling Championship game on Monday. They continued their historic championship run with a 77-74 win over UNC. After coming off a 70 percent shooting performance Villanova shot 58 percent in the championship game. UNC shot 43 percent. UNC destroyed them on the board by grabbing 13 more rebounds throughout the game.

Marcus Paige was a true warrior, and he kept on fighting the whole game until the final buzzer sounded. With the score 74-71 and UNC down three, Paige made a double clutch three to tie the game.
Then the unthinkable happened.

Chris Jenkins pulled up for the shot with 0.5 seconds left and nailed the shot to win the National Championship, while brother Nate Britt knelt in disbelief on the UNC sidelines. His mom growing up wouldn’t even let him shoot threes until he was in high school. This game was about bragging rights for that family. Jenkins said he’s (Britt) never going to live this one down, he will brag about it to him forever.

During the post-game interviews Paige said “he knew they (UNC) were going to win it in overtime. All they needed was to play defense for 4.7 seconds, and then he knew they would win it because that’s just how the game was going. But that didn’t happen obviously, we came up just short.”

Thirty-one years after they won in 1985, they finally were able to cut down the nets in 2016. It was the second longest span of time between titles behind Kansas when they had 36 years from the 1950’s to 1980’s. Jenkins shot will be played over the years from now, he will forever be in the record books as the guy who made the shot in the 2016 National Championship. My favorite part of the post-game show is the video titled “one shining moment” it’s just a great video to look back on the best 3 weeks of year in college basketball.

We had another historic run for the women’s title game when UConn went for its 6th championship in 8 years. They played Syracuse for the National Title Tuesday. This would be a historic win for the Syracuse Orange as well. 2016 was the first time that Syracuse made a Final Four and a National Championship. They could possibly put a hold on the Dynasty of UConn for one year.