Search is on for new Director of Student Activities

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

Wayne State College is now hiring for Director of Student Activities. Last week, the two candidates came to speak with the students and see the campus.

Molly Bonuchi was the first candidate to speak on Thursday, March 17, at 2 p.m in the Blue Stem Room.

“For me professionally I am trying to grow, and where I’m at currently there’s not much room. I can’t really go anywhere else, so it’s time to start looking. I was contacted about this job, and as soon as I opened the website and started looking at things, it reminded me a lot of my undergraduate experience,” Bonuchi said.

Bonuchi spoke in a casual way, allowing students to ask questions, and asking many students questions herself.

She spoke about wanting to learn the student’s stories and discussing with them what they want to see on campus. She wants to find a way to get off-campus students to come to campus for activities.

Currently, Bonuchi is working at a college with 1,400 students between three campuses at Western Nebraska Community College.

She had been in charge of orientation herself in the past, but if she is hired at WSC, she would have more students involved in the process of organizing activities.

Christin Dalavirus spoke on Friday, March 18 at 2 p.m. in the Bluestem room.

“To me, I work for you. You are the most important people on campus. Without you, we wouldn’t have a college,” Dalavirus said.

Dalavirus began by passing out her portfolios as a staff photographer.

In Illinois, the fiscal budget was not discussed this year so no institution in Illinois had received funding. Dalavirus was let go due to these financial issues, but she is excited for this new opportunity and to work with students.

She spoke about working with individual clubs and marketing them to help clubs obtain a better reputation and reach out to more students.

Dalavirus mentioned that one of her goals is to help students have the opportunity to practice their career skills and create resume worthy material before they graduate.

“Our goal is to bring in someone who is going to be dynamic and find ways to improve on the student experience. We’re also looking for a person who will continue to mentor student organizations and their leaders by supporting them and providing them opportunities to grow,” Mathew Weekly, Assistant Dean of Students, said.

Since this is a hiring process, not all information is open to the public. However WSC is excited about having interest from a variety of individuals with varied backgrounds and a passion for helping students.

The school is looking to hire someone who is student centered and will continue to grow student activities at Wayne State College.