Philomatheans make changes

Requirements to join president’s honors club change for more student involvment

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The Philomathean Club (President’s Honor Society) has made changes to the club.

“The new president did not know of the existence of the organization, but was very excited when we approached her about it. We have been working with President Rames to revise our constitution and set a clear purpose for the future of the society,” Liam Hockley 5th year senior said.

Originally the Philomathean, founded by John G. Niehardt, became a group to honor the 11 most distinguished student at Wayne State College. The club noticed that the school was growing, and decided it was time to grow with the school.

“The student leadership reached out to me. They hoped we could expand the club and make it more active,” WSC President Dr. Marysz Rames.

The students in Philomathean have made a new constitution and are in the process of searching for a new advisor. However, the club will need approval of the changes to their constitution from Student Senate.

The Philomathean Club is looking to consist of the 25 most distinguished students at WSC and have them play a role in promoting academic excellence. These students would be working closely with the president as well as acting as a student voice at different donor events.

At the moment the Philomathean Club is looking for members.

Any students interested would need a GPA of 3.5 or above, have had an active leadership involvement on campus and have had completed at least 60 credit hours by fall 2016. Application forms can be found and turned in at Hahn room 217.