Student Trustee ends two year term

Mullins says goodbye as Miller takes his place

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Wayne State College’s student trustee Matt Mullins attended his last Nebraska State College System (NSCS) Board of Trustees meeting last Friday after two years of service.

He presented his student trustee report, starting by talking about the elections for WSC’s new student senate president and vice president positions. Mullins has been elected president, and Kelly Robinson has been elected vice president.

Student senate is still in the process of drafting a smoke free campus proposal.

Mullins told the board about some of the fun events that have been happening on campus, such as Casino Night and Cancer is A Drag.
He spoke about the new printers in the academic buildings and said that he hopes the printers will find their way into the residence halls as well.

He was proud to announce the wrestling team winning their conference, and that the recently founded WSC curling team qualified for nationals this year.

The student trustee terms of Chadron State College’s Michaela Galiger and Peru State College’s Millie Anderson are also coming to an end.

The state colleges’ vice presidents for academic affairs coordinated the 2016-17 student trustee nomination process at their respective colleges, and the nominations were received by the NSCS office and forwarded to Governor Pete Ricketts, who selected the incoming student trustees.
They are Coy Clark for CSC, Treyten Nelson for PSC and Henry Miller for WSC. They will begin their terms at the May board meeting.

Miller, WSC’s incoming student trustee, is majoring in speech communications and sociology. This is the first board meeting to which Miller has attended.

“Matt is my mentor. I’m very excited,” Miller said. “I’m excited to get a look at the administrative side of things. It’s very interesting. I met a lot of people that make a lot of decisions on different things in Wayne. It’s been really nice. Everybody’s very friendly.

“They’re very curious to hear what students have to say, and that’s probably what I find the most interesting is that they’re here—like they say—because of the students.”