Relay for Life moved up to April

WSC students encouraged to get involved

Michael Menish, Staff Writer

The Wayne County Relay for Life has been moved to April 9 to allow more students and area schools to participate.

In previous years, the event, held at Wayne High School, was held in June.

“Cancer does not discriminate,” Community Manager Stephanie Fritz said. “We are really hoping that moving the date to April will encourage more students from WSC and area schools to get involved.

“We want to share our mission and provide students as well as members of the community with information that will help them potentially take preventative measures in fighting back against cancer by catching the signs early and making it more preventable.”

Fritz suggest WSC students become involved in the event through starting a team for the 5K or joining the planning committee.

“If there is anyone wanting to get involved, they can contact Carla at 712-266-6820 or Stephanie at 402-270-1070,” Fritz said.

This event is possible with thanks to volunteers who meet throughout the year. This year it is estimated that about 400 people will be attending the Relay for Life.

“We anticipate increased attendance with the addition of the 5K, as well as having a brunch that is open to survivors, caregivers and those participating in the 5k,” Fritz said.

Resources and services available include the hotline at 800-227-2345 to help direct cancer patients to services that might help them through their journey. Other resources include Hope Lodge, cancer.org, Look Good Feel Better, Road to Recovery and ACS Cancer Action Network. Currently, 72 cents of every dollar raised goes toward research and services. Fritz said that the goal is to increase this to 80 cents by 2018.

“Our mission is to ‘finish the fight’ against cancer by helping people get well, stay well, find cures and fight back,” said Fritz.