Lady ‘Cats postseason a rollercoaster of emotions

While the women did defeat their first round opponent with a nine-point win, the Northern State Wolves put an end to Wayne State’s championship dreams


Photo by Mason Schweizer

WSC players cheer after beating the Marauders, their first-round opponent.

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

The NSIC tournament began last Wednesday, when the WSC Wildcats hosted the University of Mary Marauders. WSC won the first round game 78-69.

WSC got out to an early lead, but saw Mary fight back and make it a one point game at the end of the first quarter. In the second, the ‘Cats made only two of their 16 shots in the quarter to see the one point lead turn into a six point deficit at half time. Mary led, 33-27 at the conclusion of the first 20 minutes of play.

WSC fought back and took the lead for good at 42-41 with just under five minutes left to play in the third. The ‘Cats outscored Mary 35-15 to take a 62-48 lead after three. WSC held onto its lead, ultimately winning the game. Maggie Schulte led the ‘Cats with 24 points.


Wolves oust WSC

An 0-14 shooting effort in the second quarter proved to be too much for the WSC women’s basketball team to overcome Sunday afternoon in their quarterfinal match-up against Northern State at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D.

The Wolves started the game out strong, making eight of their first 11 shots, jumping out to a quick 19-10 lead. WSC fought back behind the efforts of a Maggie Schulte three-pointer, and an Alisa Peterson jumper to bring the score to 21-15 after the first quarter.

WSC missed all the shots they took in the second quarter, which allowed Northern State to score 21 straight points.

Senior Sadie Murren finally put the Wildcats on the board with a free throw with 2:42 left to go in the half. A pair of Kacie O’Connor free throws right before the half left the Wildcats with quite a challenge with the score 46-18 at half.

Northern State shot 53 percent in the first half to just 24 percent by the ‘Cats.

“We just didn’t play well enough to win in the first half,” head coach Chris Kielsmeier said.

The Wildcats came out tough in the second half, scoring the first six points. After the third quarter, WSC had cut the lead down to 60-40.

WSC cut the deficit multiple times in the fourth quarter to 14, but couldn’t keep the Wolves from scoring to make a run. Northern State kept the pressure on, pushing the lead back to 20 giving them the 76-56 win.

Murren, playing in her last game in a Wildcat uniform, led WSC in scoring with 17. O’Connor and Peterson reached double figures finishing the game with 12 and 10, respectively.

“Our two seniors [Murren and Lauren Davis] were great teammates that helped us win a lot of games over the last two years,” Kielsmeier said.

WSC finished the season with a 17-12 record.