Students can receive Norfolk paper for free

Chantal Lawson, Staff Writer

Wayne State College has recently broadened its news source horizons. Soon, you will see more than the Wayne Stater in buildings around campus.

The Norfolk Daily News will be coming to Wayne State this semester.

Norfolk Daily News has a section on its website and newspaper called Wayne’s World devoted to campus activity here at WSC and in the community. It’s compiled mostly by Wayne State College students.

“The Norfolk Daily News approached Wayne State offering to provide their paper at a discounted price to the college, so that the papers could be made available to students at no cost,” Jeff Carstens, Dean of Students, said. “Because the Norfolk Daily News uses articles written by Wayne State students, it was determined there may be significant student interest in reading the paper.”
The availability of the NDN is only a trial project, according to Carstens.

“As a trial project, a limited number of papers will be available in residence halls and the student center at no cost through the end of the spring semester. Depending upon student interest and available college funding, the trial project may be continued for 2016-2017.”

If the interest and funding Carstens mentioned is maintained, other nearby newspapers may follow NDN’s lead, but it is unknown at this time if that will occur.

Kent Warneke, publisher of the Daily News, is excited about this trial session.

“Studies have shown that college students have a high degree of interest in being informed, but we have to make it easy for them,” Warneke said. “College students are very busy, and sometimes money is tight, so if we can be of help in terms of providing easy and affordable news access to students to make them aware of the world around them, then that’s something we’re excited to do.

“We think it’s important to try and make people of all ages, college students or older, aware of their community around them. We very much appreciate Wayne State working with us on this. It’s similar to a program we’ve been working with at Northeast Community College here in . Hopefully it’s a win-win-win for everybody involved.”

Student support and excitement for this new newspaper is high as well. Freshman Holli Gist commented on the availability of news outside of what’s provided in the Wayne Stater.

“I can’t wait to have a chance to read it. Since I came to college, I’ve felt kind of limited as far as access to news goes,” she said. “I’ll hear it on the radio or see it on a TV in the student center now and then, but it’ll be nice to have these newspapers readily available in every dorm.”

Students can pick up a copy of the NDN in their residence hall or the student center (at the same location as the Wayne Stater) starting Monday. NDN publishes Monday through Saturday each week, so there will be new newspapers available nearly every day.