Laura Robinett is new Director of Alumni Relations

Joseph Lovercheck, Staff Writer

Laura Robinett is moving up fast at Wayne State College.

The spring 2013 WSC graduate will move to her new position as the Director of Alumni Relations on March 1. Robinett now works as an office assistant for the School of Art and Humanities, which she has been doing for the almost two and a half years since she graduated.

Robinett grew up on a ranch in Wheeler County and graduated from Chambers High School in a class of 12 students. She decided her senior year of high school that she wanted to come to WSC. She said she had a list of bigger institutions, but Wayne still led the list.

“I came here for a visit and I loved the campus, loved the people,” Robinett said. “I got to meet with the department chair, who is now my current boss, Steve Elliott, the dean of the arts and humanities. I had a great Navigator. After [her visit] I really realized what a homey place Wayne State is.”

As a student at WSC, Robinett was editor in chief of the Wayne Stater. She said this helped her learn the software that she now uses every day. It also helped her practice different types of writing and taught her how to lead a team.

During an internship at the Wayne Area Economic Development, she learned how progressive and supportive the Wayne community is.

Her favorite part about working at WSC is the people.

“We have a fantastic staff that support us every day,” Robinette said. “The students themselves are also next to none. It’s just the Midwestern hospitality that really shines through here. My colleagues are not just great professionals in their fields. They are friends.”

Her next position will have her working with the Wayne State Foundation. She will work with alumni as well as students on campus.

One of her new responsibilities will be event planning for alumni events like homecoming. She will also be reaching out to new and existing donors, as well helping work with the G.O.L.D. (Graduates of Last Decade) club.

“It will be a really great variety, which I am excited about,” Robinett said. “I will be able to travel a little bit, too.”

Laura and her husband, Jon, currently live in Wayne.