Life science department receives cadaver

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Department of Life Science is expanding their human anatomy course.

WSC will be utilizing a human cadaver in a new, advanced anatomy course. Cadavers are used across the nation to help educate students going into the medical field. This is all made possible by the generous acts of human donors. This donor will be the first used by WSC.

“Once we decided we wanted to have a donor for our classes,” Dr. Ron Loggins said. “We went to the president about it, and she was completely behind us.”

The WSC Anatomy Lab will undergo small renovations to allow for the storage capacity to allow for a second donor. Having both male and female donors will enhance the learning experience for students.

“Our hope is to have donors for years to come. It is a great hands-on experience for students before they leave for medical school. We are very thankful for those willing to donate their bodies to science,” Loggins said.

The donations of human remains, in Nebraska, are made to the Anatomical Board of the State of Nebraska. Because of the donations, students at all colleges in Nebraska have the opportunity for experiences beyond the text book.

“This will provide an opportunity for me to learn and practice advanced dissection which will better prepare me for medical school,” Pre-med student Ashley Bode said.

A small group of seniors will be enrolled in a new class co-taught by Loggins and Glenn Kietzmann. In the course, the seniors will expand their knowledge of human anatomy. They will also prepare the donor for other anatomy students.

“Textbooks and pictures are great aids for a student, but nothing will prepare them for real-life experiences and medical school like the donor will,” Loggins said.