35 sign up for men’s new soccer club

Caleb Christensen, Staff Writer

Wayne State has added a new club this semester.

The men’s soccer club recently was funded by the college, joining rugby as a sports club at WSC for anyone and everyone to join.

The club was started by Brett Quick, but it was Nick Sachua, Andy Vazquez and Roba Barento who went to the Student Senate and explained why soccer should become an official club.

The club was made official, and they look to enter some tournaments later this semester.

“I am looking for tournaments to enter so we can play soon, but we might be too late for this year. I strongly believe we will be in the tournaments next year,” club president Barento said.

“We are hoping that the school will help us on soccer equipment like soccer balls, gloves for our goalkeepers and jerseys,” Barento said.

For right now they are getting different ideas on what kind of jerseys the team wants and plans to design the jerseys themselves. As for the equipment they practice with, it’s mainly the players own equipment that they bring to each practice.

They hope to start practicing when the weather gets nicer, but for right now the soccer ‘Cats scrimmage indoor most days when they can get the guys together.

“I’m hoping we stay strong now that we are finally an official club,” Barento said. “So far we have 35 people and there’s more interested in playing soccer. We are hoping to practice maybe three times a week.”

The ‘Cats are hoping that the college also helps them with paying for the tournaments and transportation, but in the meantime they are going to try their own fundraising.

As far as getting a coach for the club, the team has decided to have Barento as the interim coach until they can find a more permanent coach.

If you are interested in joining the club, you can contact Roba Barento by phone anytime at 712-212-3519 or you can email him at [email protected].