Getting students interested in visiting Greece

Erica Gutenschwager answered student questions about trip abroad

Erika Schwartz, Staff Writer

In preparation for the upcoming study abroad trip to Greece, Erica Gutenschwager, a lecturer and co-teacher who resides in Volos, Greece, visited Wayne State College last week.

Gutenschwager has been involved with the WSC Greece study abroad trip for five years. She has helped students become settled in Greece and facilitates the trip so everything runs smoothly.

Although Gutenschwager grew up in the United States, she has lived in Volos for 25 years, where she is an artist and a professor at Thessaly University.

According to Lori Utecht, a learning skills specialist in the TRiO offices and a faculty adviser for the study abroad trip, Gutenschwager has been a very important part of the trip in recent years.

Now, the lecturer and facilitator will be transitioning to a new role: co-teacher.

Utecht and Gutenschwager will be working together, from opposite sides of the world, to plan and create a set of classes, professors and field trips that will best fit the study abroad students from Wayne State.

Gutenschwager will be taking charge of the classes in Greece, while Utecht will help organize everything on WSC’s end.

“Erica decided to visit Wayne State just so she could get a feel of how people see the program, including administration, faculty and students,” Utecht said. “She also really wanted to get to know the students here.”

Over a course of three sessions last week, Gutenschwager had the opportunity to visit with faculty and staff about the study abroad program and its goals for this year’s trip.

She also met with the 21 students who are planning to make the trek to Volos and their parents. They were able to ask questions and express concerns about everything involving the upcoming adventure.

Gutenschwager informed the students and parents about what to pack, things to be aware of when travelling internationally and what to expect from life in Volos.

“Erica really just put their minds at ease,” Utecht said. “They discussed expectations of the trip, what to prepare for and what to expect academically.”

The Greece study abroad trip is set to commence on March 21. The group of students along with the faculty advisers will travel from Omaha to London, and then from London to Athens.

There, the assembly will visit a variety of museums and other attractions before moving on to Volos for the remaining weeks of the trip.

In Volos, the students will attend classes, take field trips and return home May 19.

“Erica was very interested in learning about Wayne State,” Utecht said. “As we begin to work more closely with the university in Greece, it would be really fun to have more professors and staff visit the college as well. She has wonderful ideas and is very enthused about getting involved with the program.”