Buffett Scholars Club

Zarke Yates, News Writer

Buffett Scholars can now officially congregate together as the Buffett Scholars Club was passed through the Student Senate last Monday, Oct. 3.  

Divon Tinsley, president of the Buffet Scholars club, is excited to get the ball rolling being that there was no previous representation for Buffett Scholars.  

“We sent in the constitution for the club around two weeks ago, clubs and organizations approved it, and brought it to the senate on Monday,” Tinsley said. “I spoke there, the resolution passed and now we’re an officially recognized club on campus.” 

Susan T. Buffett Foundation has offered scholarships to college students in Nebraska for 50 years. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis for first time freshmen entering college who reside in Nebraska and plan to attend college in Nebraska and need demonstrate financial need. There are a small number of scholarships attainable, so not everybody is immediately accepted.  

Buffett Scholars at Wayne State College are all able to attend meetings and meet with other scholars at WSC. “They’ll be getting sent emails on where a meeting will be taking place or what event will be happening,” Tinsley said. He is already planning for times and places where meetings will take place. As of yet there is no set location. 

“Buffett Scholars are not required to attend the meetings, I get that people are going to have time constraints, and other things going on in their lives,” Tinsley said. He does hope however that scholars will go to meetings if they’re available. 

One of the main goals of the clubs is getting the scholars to know each other.  

“It’s a chance to get to know other Buffett Scholars, with new freshman and transfer students coming in, the Buffett Scholars have an opportunity to meet each other,” Tinsley said. “You may have the same class as someone else who is a Buffett Scholar, but didn’t even know.”  

There are not very many Buffet Scholars that get accepted with only a 1,000 high school graduates each spring. With a smaller amount attending Wayne State College as students may attend other colleges.  

The outlook for the Buffett Scholars Club is high. With plans for community service that he hopes everybody can attend and help with. Fundraising for the club to have special events and have speakers come to Wayne State College. The Buffett Scholars Club is official. 

“As responsible college students, we all check our email regularly,” Tinsley said.