Letter to the Editor: Forming a More Perfect Union: The State of Student Senate

Griffin Ryan

Hello. My name is Griffin Ryan, and I am a sophomore here at Wayne State College. I have just begun my second year as a member of the Student Senate. I was elected as a freshman representative last year and as a Senator for the School of Business and Technology this year.  

It is no secret that Student Senate is probably the most controversial group on campus. For years, Student Senate has been plagued by competing egos, grandstanding, political LARPing, impeachments, lies and wild allegations that are borderline slanderous. I believe I speak for most people when I say this behavior is not only a waste of time, but also does an egregious disservice to the student body.  

Although the picture of Student Senate I painted may seem bleak, I assure you there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The newly elected executive team consisting of President Carter Ossian, Vice-President John Munter, and Secretary Daisha Hoffman, have breathed new life into the organization. Their commitment to working together to serve the student body is unmatched compared to past executive members.  

Along with Senator Miguel Barajas, I serve as a chair for the Club and Organization Oversight Committee. Recently, all of us committee chairs sat down and met with the executive team to lay out a variety of initiatives to improve the quality of representation WSC students receive from Student Senate.  

First, we are going to begin hosting multiple socials every month to ensure every student has an opportunity to meet the senators representing their academic department. 

Next, we are going to ensure that any student who wants to see the minutes from Student Senate meetings, can easily access them. This includes putting copies of the meeting minutes in the library and residence halls and creating an email list for students wishing to receive an electronic copy. 

Finally, we are putting plans in place to jointly host events throughout the year with a wide variety of different clubs and organizations across the campus. Our hope here is to encourage student participation in extracurricular activities and increase the level of transparency Student Senate has with the student body.  

Nothing will ever be able to fully resolve the controversies that certain members of the Student Senate have indulged in over the past several years. But to bask in the sins of the past and allow Student Senate to operate in infamy is something that the executive team and committee chairs will not stand for. A divided house cannot and will not endure the test of time. 

Rebuilding Student Senate must be a campus wide initiative. Without the ideas, input and feedback from the student body, this organization would cease to exist. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to any member of Student Senate.