Wayne State College Sweeps Minnesota Duluth

Joe Dao, Sports Writer

The Wayne State College Women’s Volleyball team showed a head-up and fast reacting defense to defeat the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs.  

With a relatively close first set, the Wildcats pulled away from a 19-19 scoreboard, winning the set with the last six of seven points scored.  

“We just kept our heads in the game, and it worked out for the best,” junior setter Rachel Walker said.  

The Wildcats closed the game with 50 digs, led by senior libero Jessie Brandl, and 20 blocks, led by sophomore middle hitter Maggie Brahmer. As the game went on, each set became better and better for WSC, set one was won 25-20, second set was a secured 25-16 and the third set was an accomplished 25-15, ending the game 3-0 for the Wildcats. 

Walker had a great game with 29 assisted kills with her sets, leading the team in aces with three, and had the third most digs with eight.  

“Maggie was a huge part of our defensive side against Duluth, she’s one of the tallest on the team so that helps a lot,” Walker said. Walker said the team knew that this needed to be a defensive game in order to secure a win because the Bulldogs have exceptional hitters. “We practice a lot more defense at practice to prepare for this game,” she said.  

The Wildcats remain at the #1 ranking and plan on being so for the rest of the season.  

WSC are home next week against Bemidji State University on Friday, Sept. 30 at 7 p.m.