Professor Spotlight – Anthony Baird

Photo Courtesy of https://www.wsc.edu/info/20081/music/1478/anthony_baird

Professor Baird is the new music lecturer at WSC, teaching instrumental music education courses, as well as the director of the jazz ensemble, symphonic band and brass ensemble.

Emily Ames, News Writer

Professor Anthony Baird is the new music professor  at Wayne State College who teaches instrumental music education courses and is the director of the jazz ensemble, symphonic band and brass ensemble. 

Baird earned both of his degrees from Belmont University, which is located in Nashville, Tennessee and is currently working on his doctor of musical arts degree from the University of Memphis.  

Baird has also been a secondary school band director and taught high school and middle school bands in middle and east Tennessee, as well as eastern North Carolina. As a band director, Baird had the pleasure of taking his marching bands to the BOA Regionals, Contest of Champions and the Tennessee Marching Band State Championship.  

Before coming to Nebraska, Baird had the opportunity to perform around the Memphis and Nashville areas being able to perform with a wide range of musicians and groups such as the Nashville Philharmonic Orchestra, the Nashville Praise Orchestra, the Establishment Big Band, Melinda Doolittle, Chester Thompson, Tracy Silver, Denyce Graves and Laura Bell Bundy.  

“While I’ve been lucky enough to perform with some world famous musicians, it is always a privilege to work with and perform with musicians and groups of all calibers,” Baird said. “Any time you are getting paid to do something you love it is exciting.” 

While at WSC, Baird has been able to work with the symphonic band on campus.  

“Baird is an incredibly accomplished trumpet player and musician,” Clair Jensen, a freshman trumpet player, said. “He is very intelligent, well versed and experienced in music. Those of us in symphonic band and Baird all had different expectations coming into this semester and struggled to understand each other at first, but after talking it through, things have gotten a lot better.” 

“I have absolutely loved my time here at Wayne State College and have been enjoying the warm collegiality from all the faculty her in the Music department,” Baird said.  

Baird has been able to teach at the collegiate level for a few years, mostly in an adjunct position before coming to WSC. The campus has brought the professor joy with being able to work with students that are more advance.