Tornado season hits Nebraska: Where and when to shelter from the storm

If you heard sirens this morning, you weren’t imagining it. The annual statewide tornado drill conducted by the National Weather Service was held this morning from 11-11:30 a.m., and the City of Wayne sounded its siren.
Jay Collier, WSC media relations, noted in an email to students, staff and faculty that WSC would not run a full drill this spring, the college sould send out a test message by all communication methods usually used for severe weather alerts.
Messages went out on the public address system and by text alert.
“Please keep in mind that in the event of an actual emergency, you should take action upon hearing or receiving the first alert,” Collier said. “Do not wait until you have received an alert from each system.”
Collier said severe weather such as a tornado is the most likely emergency to occur on campus. Students, staff and faculty should make sure they are signed up for the college’s emergency alert system by going to the Rave mobile safety app at www.wsc.edu/myWSC.

EMPLOYEES, STUDENTS AND GUESTS

Before a Tornado Warning:
Familiarize yourself with these terms to help identify a tornado hazard:
Tornado Watch – Tornadoes are possible. Remain alert for approaching storms. Watch the sky and stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio or television for information.
Tornado Warning – A tornado has been sighted by trained weather spotters or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately.

During a Tornado Warning:
The city of Wayne will sound the siren system for a Tornado/Severe Weather Alert Signal.
This siren is a steady blast tone for 3 minutes. This differs from the city fire siren which alternates tones.
The warning sirens are intended to warn persons to seek shelter. When you hear these sirens, take cover immediately – danger is imminent. The tornado season for the Wayne area is primarily April through June, but March through October are also potential tornado months.
Where available, the College will provide supplemental notification of tornado warnings through:
a. Amplified voice announcements over the campus public address system.
b. Other approved communications
Campus Security will notify campus via the public address system with the following message:

A TORNADO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED. PLEASE TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY IN THE NEAREST BEST AVAILABLE REFUGE AREA. REFUGE AREAS ARE LOCATED IN THE INNERMOST LOWEST LEVEL OF EACH BUILDING.

Indoors
1. Move quickly to the designated Best Available Refuge Area in campus buildings.
2. Move quickly to an alternate area of safety– rooms and corridors in the innermost part of a building.
3. Do not use elevators.
4. Stay away from windows, corridors with windows, or large free-standing expanses. (Examples are auditoriums and cafeterias) There is no guaranteed safe place during a tornado. However, it is important to seek shelter in the best location to help minimize your exposure.
5. Close all doors, including main corridors, making sure they latch.
6. Crouch near the floor or under heavy, well supported objects and cover your head.
7. Be alert for fires. In the event of a fire, the WSC fire plan should be utilized.
8. If a tornado strikes, help avoid telephone overloads. Do not use telephones (including cell phones) except for