Dr. Phil is a fraud

Kaitlynn Breeden, Design Editor

Oprah Winfrey unfortunately created Dr. Phil’s entertainment career in 1998. Dr. Phil took Winfrey as a client when she was defending herself against libel charges from Texas cattlemen. She was so impressed with his life coaching abilities that she invited him to appear on her show. The episode was very successful, so he continued to appear on her show weekly in 1998. Dr. Phil launched his own show in 2002, debuting to the highest ratings of any new show since the premiere of “The Oprah Winfrey Show.” 

Dr. Phil has a doctorate in clinical psychology but ceased renewing his license to practice psychological therapy in 2006. Dr. Phil has never been licensed to practice in California, where he films his show. So, is he a real doctor? Should he be scolding teenagers for using narcotics, and Bad Bhabie for not respecting her mother? Honestly, I don’t think so. 

The only person who should have gone on the show is Danielle Bregoli, aka Bhad Bhabie. Her appearance on the show is what started her internet career with the “catch me outside” meme, and she’s now moved on from that to be a rapper. The show actually worked out for her, but people with real issues and trauma need to see a licensed professional. 

Mama June, the mother of child star Honey Boo Boo, appeared on the show to talk about several scandals surrounding her family. While talking to someone about letting a sexual predator around her child is something that needed to happen, is Dr. Phil the best candidate? Going to Dr. Phil to seek help seems more like a cash grab than anything. He isn’t licensed to psychoanalyze your life and you get paid to appear on the show and air out your dirty laundry.  

Wayne State college student Lizzie Waddell believes that Dr. Phil shouldn’t be considered a medial professional either. 

“I don’t really watch his show or know a lot about him, but I also don’t think he’s a real doctor, there’s no way,” Waddell said. “The quotes that I have heard him say don’t sound like someone who genuinely wants to help people out. It sounds like someone who is trying to make a halfway decent show.” 

A couple interesting facts about Dr. Phil are that he has written 17 books, hit a pedestrian on a skateboard in 2017, and that he is not licensed to be a therapist on national television.  

Dr. Phil isn’t a licensed therapist, so I don’t know why people go on the show. If your family is going through a lot of trauma, go to a real doctor! Going on his show provides a TV scripted narrative of what your life is and opening your private life for anyone with cable to watch. Don’t trust Dr. Phil and choose your therapists carefully.