Here’s how some students spent their extended breaks

Whitney Winter, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn Winter- Over spring break I went home. The first weekend of break my dad and I got to Missouri for an Allis Chalmers antique tractor and machinery swap meet, as always. This year, my mom, dad and I attended. We met up with some great family friends and delivered parts. Once we got back home, I relaxed and took care of my dad because he had reconstructive ankle surgery three weeks prior. I had studied for the Dental Admissions Test (DAT), which then got cancelled. Different from previous years is that I normally don’t study for the DAT. I would have normally worked at my local seed, chemical, fertilizer, and trucking business but some of the seed orders are on back order, so we are just playing the waiting game.

Sarah Smyth- With the extension of spring break, I decided to participate in the self-quarantine and remain at home in order to help keep my loved ones safe. My grandparents are both elderly and have preexisting medical conditions that could be very fatal if they were to contract COVID-19. My parents are both on the frontline as they are health-care professionals and we, as a family, are taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of virus. We are limiting our adventures out of the house and participating in social distancing! It isn’t fun, but it’s extremely necessary.

Robyn Isom- Over spring break I stayed in Wayne to continue working. Due to theCOVID-19 virus outbreak, I have been putting in extra hours working at the grocery store to ensure that everything is stocked to the best of our ability.

Gaby Montanez- Over spring break, I went to South Padre Island, Texas, with a group of girls. It was a lot of fun getting a week-long vacation from school. The drive was long, but it was worth it when we finally arrived and saw the beautiful view of the gulf from our condo. Some of our adventures consisted of hot tubbing, long days on the beach, concerts, a boat ride around the island, a sea turtle rehabilitation visit and much more! When we initially arrived on the island, the coronavirus did not seem to be a big concern. As the week progressed, more Facebook posts alerted us to the growing concerns surrounding the virus. When we heard about the spring break extension, we knew things were getting serious. When we got back to Wayne and I headed home. My family and I have taken many precautions and have been staying inside. I’m staying at home for my grandparents’ sake and everyone that is susceptible to this virus. I hope that everyone continues to stay safe and informed during this time.

Katie Stukenholtz- My spring break wasn’t really affected by the coronavirus. The only notable difference was that I had a job interview and we did not shake hands at all. Not being able to return and enjoy the last few months of mysenior year at Wayne State College feels pretty crappy.

Whitney Winter
(Left to Right): Robyn Isom, Sarah Smyth, Gaby Montanez, Kaitlyn Winter, Katie Stukenholtz
Whitney Winter
Gaby Montanez
Whitney Winter
Kaitlyn Winter
Whitney Winter
Katie Stukenholtz
Whitney Winter
Robyn Isom
Whitney Winter
Sarah Smyth