• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Wildcats face a tough weekend after being swept by Minot State Beavers at home

Photo by Evelyn Knox
Starting pitcher Aidan Breedlove lets one fly

Rachel Vogt, Staff Writer

The WSC baseball team faced Minot State in a four-game series, losing all four by just one or two runs.

Junior Zane Zitek said the ’Cats knew Minot was going to be a tough opponent.

“Our games got moved up due to the weather, but I thought we prepared well given the short week,” said Zitek. “Our main focus was putting the ball in play hard with two strikes.”

The first inning of the first game saw both teams score. Junior Bryce Bisenius singled through the right side to score freshman Andrew Hanson, who had reached base on a double, to get Wayne State on the board.

Minot State scored single runs in the fourth and sixth innings, both unearned, to take a 3-1 lead.

The Wildcats rallied in the top of the seventh as junior Jake Lorenzini reached on a fielder’s choice and later scored on a Bisenius single to cut the Beaver lead to 3-2.

The ’Cats had runners on first and third with two out when Minot State’s closing pitcher Jack Gamba came on to get junior Travis Miller to pop up to second, ending the game.

“The focus of the first two games was to pitch well and play defense behind the guys on the hill,” said Zitek. “The approach at the plate was to hit the ball hard on the ground with two strikes because they had only played on turf coming into the games.”

The second game saw WSC control the contest until the Beavers strung together a five-run bottom of the eighth inning rally to close the game at 6-5.

The Wildcats took a 2-0 lead in the first on an RBI single from Bisenius to score Hanson who reached on a single. Senior Tanner Simons also reached on a single to later score on a wild pitch.

After Minot State scored in the bottom of the third to trim the lead to 2-1, WSC came up with three runs in the top of the fifth to take a 5-1 advantage.

Senior David Janes produced a two-run single to score Garrett Graveline, who reached on a walk, and sophomore Jackson Petersen, who reached on an error. Janes later scored the third run on a double steal for a 5-1 WSC lead.

The score remained that way until the bottom of the eighth when Minot State struck for five runs on three hits and a pair of walks with the go-ahead run scoring on a wild pitch to give the Beavers a shocking 6-5 come-from-behind win.

“They kept the pressure on us,” said Zitek. “Their pitchers kept us off balance, and their hitters really grinded out their at-bats.”

The third game saw the Beavers take the win at 7-6.

The Beavers held a 2-0 lead entering the third inning of the game when WSC struck for four runs to take a 4-2 lead. Miller had a two-run single to go with run-scoring singles coming
from Bisenius and Janes.

WSC took the 5-2 lead in the top of the fifth on an RBI single from Bisenius to score Hanson.

Minot State began their comeback with two runs in the fifth and one in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game at 5-5. WSC used back-to-back doubles with two outs from Bisenius and Miller to put the ’Cats ahead at 6-5.

However, the Beavers handed the Wildcats a third straight one-run setback by producing two runs in the bottom of the seventh to steal the 7-6 victory.

“We were trying to salvage a split in the series,” said Zitek. “Our approach at the plate was much better with far less strike outs and our pitchers gave us a chance to win both games. Again, they just had clutch hits when they needed them.”

In the second game, WSC built an early 3-0 lead, but the Beavers came back once again and completed the weekend sweep with the 5-3 victory over the Wildcats.

The ’Cats scored one run in the second and two more in the third for a 3-0 lead. Sophomore Peyton Barnes had an RBI double that scored Miller with the first run.

Miller laced an RBI double down the left field line to score Janes with the first run of the third inning, followed by a bases loaded walk to Lorenzini that scored Bisenius.

Minot State responded with two runs in the fourth and one in the fifth to tie the score at 3-3, then the Beavers came up with single runs in the seventh and eighth innings to pick up the 5-3 victory.

“I think these games will spark a little fire in our hearts going into Winona and St. Cloud,” said Zitek. “No one likes losing, especially in heartbreak fashion, for us losing four games by five runs. It starts by taking it one game at a time and doing everything right in practice to prepare us for the grind of our schedule.”

The Wayne State baseball team will be back in action on Thursday of this week facing Winona State in Wayne at 1:00 p.m. and 3 p.m. contests, and then again on Saturday and Sunday in St. Cloud Minnesota for noon and 2 p.m. contests each day.