Dendinger best in Division II shot put

Wayne State College Track and Field continues to collect medals

Michaela Dendinger is leading the WSC throwers. Dendinger is now the top Division II shot put thrower in the country. She has also hit automatic national qualifying marks in shot put, discus and hammer throw. The Wildcats will compete this weekend at the Souix City Relays at Morningside College in Souix City, Iowa.

WSC Athletics

Nathan Pearson, Staff Writer

Michaela Dendinger stands alone this week as the top thrower in the shot put in NCAA Division II.
Dendinger hit automatic qualifying marks for nationals in the shot put, discus and hammer this past weekend at the UNK Loper Invite in Kearney.
Dendinger threw distances of 52’1.75’’ in the shot put for 1st place, 165’0’’ in the discus for 2nd place and 203’1’’ in the hammer for 3rd place.
“Michaela hit automatic marks in all three for the first time,” Head Coach Marlon Brink said. “Being first in the nation is a pretty big deal. She saw some of her toughest competition, and it’s good to see competition like that head-to-head.”
Also for the women, Mary Alderson was 3rd in the 400-meter (59.44) and 6th in the 200-meter (26.07), Melissa Kroll was 5th in the 200-meter (26.02) and 7th in the 400-meter (1:00.77), Kacie O’Connor was 8th in the discus (149’2’’) and Tessa Ives was 13th in the hammer (154’11’’).
“Mary ran well and had two (career bests) and Melissa had a (career best) in the 200,” Brink said.
For the men, Brady Metz took 1st in the triple jump (48’10.25’’) and 2nd in the long jump (23’4.5’’). Habib Jallow also took 1st in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 56.90.
“A lot of good things happened for the men,” Brink said. “Brady (hit a provisional mark) in the triple jump and was just off the school record. He had (career bests) in both events. Clay ran well in the 400.”
Jack Doughty was 3rd in the 5,000-meter (16:26.59), Travis Eller was 4th in the long jump (21’8.25’’), Clay Kramper was 4th in the 400-meter (48.90), Nick Schmit was 4th in the 800-meter (1:59.02), Jordan Zautke was 5th in the 100-meter (11.11) and eighth in the 200-meter (22.59), Alvyns Alcenord was seventh in the 200-meter (22.53), Nick Fly was seventh in 800-meter (1:59.15) and Josh Spenner was eighth in the pole vault (14’1.75).
The 4×100-meter relay of Alcenord, Braxton Adams, Kramper and Zautke was first with a time of 41.68. It is the second-fastest time in school history.
“The conference is starting to shape up more,” Brink said. “(Minnesota State) Mankato is still the team to beat. Sioux Falls will also be good and Moorhead (State) should be better outdoors. On the women’s side, Mankato and U-Mary will still be the teams to beat.”
WSC will compete at the Sioux City Relays at Morningside’s Olsen Stadium this weekend.
“It’s a nice local meet at Sioux City and we usually get a good following there,” Brink said. “There are both high school and college teams so we can showcase to a bigger crowd. It’s good to get the exposure in the Sioux City metro area.”
The prestigious Drake Relays will be held a week after the Sioux City Relays.
Brink has entered marks for certain events and believes the 4×100, 4×800 and distance medley relay all have a good shot at qualifying.
For individual events, Brink thinks Metz has a good chance in the triple jump, Dendinger in the shot put, discus and hammer and O’Connor in the discus.